Thursday, November 13, 2003

That wonderful woman who I had just met this year, yet come to know pretty well, was standing at the front of the room almost saying goodbye to everyone.
Now, most of us will be back next year, but the end of every season is the always the end of something.

We would never again have that same team, or those same five seniors that were leaving, to play with.

So she was standing at the front of the room complimenting each of us personally, or telling a short story about us through the season.

Now Coach moved on to present the next person with their award.
"...She aquired this nickname very early in the season and it just kind of stuck all year....

... but I dont think she minds that too much."

She went on to say more, but I was confused.
For all of the other ones, after the first five words out of her mouth I knew exactly who she was talking about.
But a nickname?
Who on the team has a nickname?
Especially one that stuck...

Finally she said my name.
"Little Watka"
OF COURSE! I have a nickname.
I got that nickname on day one of try-outs.
Little Watka... that's me.
Funny how there are really two "little Watkas," but from this team... this year... the name has become mine.
And Coach was right. I dont mind it at all.
In fact, I kind of like it.
Alright fine, I'm rather proud of it.
I was even going to write it on my sweatshirt...
...AND its my screen name.

So, I guess I'm just trying to say, since it was pointed out to me, that I'm proud of my name. And my family... my sisters.




...and, well, it sure is nice to have them around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home